Comparison of two 50/0.95 - SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine and Schneider 50/0.95 C mount on Sony NEX-5n

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Daniel74
Daniel74 Contributing Member • Posts: 851
Comparison of two 50/0.95 - SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine and Schneider 50/0.95 C mount on Sony NEX-5n

I was asked to do this comparison a while ago and so here it comes with some important caveats.

There are focusing errors especially on the second set with the flowers. The depth of field is of course razor thin especially up close, so the second set should be considered for bokeh only. The light was not controlled and there were some possible variations especially in the outdoors doors. The stops are not equivalent and SLR Magic T0.95 is supposedly closer to f0.92

I provide some observations based both on this test and on my experience with these lenses at the end. Have a look for yourselves (if you are interested) first.

Schneider is always on the left and SLR Magic on the right. Processed with default settings and no sharpening in Camera Raw.

First border test indoors - see the vignetting on the Schneider and the quality on the border

@0.95

@1.4:

@2.8

Notice the vignetting getting worse on the Schneider. My guess (I hope to hear from knowledgeable people like Brian) is that the actual mount gets in the way and with adaptation to Leica M mount that people have done, vignetting is better. However, since the lens was not designed to cover such a large image circle, its performance on the borders is not good wide open. By @2.8 it is more than acceptable though. At least on the APS-C sensor of Sony NEX-5n.

Additional caveat here is the confounding factor of the sensor. Would it perform better with a Leica sensor? I have no idea...

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony RX1R II +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow