D600 High ISO in DX

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions thread
Leo360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,141
Re: Roger's optimum pixel pitch of 5um

cpw wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

One can work out the relevant probability distributions, estimators, their variances, etc. In fact, the model which assumes Poisson photon arrivals and constant iid conversion probability (Binomial distribution of electrons conditioned on photons) is exactly solvable. Today morning I worked it out. If you are interested we can share the notes over a private channel.

Leo

Yes hello Leo,

I have written about similar things here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42082844

I believe that the reference 4 that I cited goes into a similar type of derivation.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I just diligently derived all the statements #1 through #4 in the Joofa's  previous post

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50345602

I also looked at the optimum L2 estimator (conditional mean E[n_photon|n_e]) as well as the naive estimator n_e/QE and, indeed, as Joofa said the latter's std.dev. is 1/QE worse that the former's. Pretty neat.

When I figure out how to post here scanned hand-written pages (sorry I hand-write formulas faster than I type them in LaTeX) I will share my little exercise. The math is quite cool.

Also, i think I might be able to shed some light on the Eric Fossum's observation that the photon shot-noise and Binomial conversion noise do not "add up" and that the resulting variance of the electron count is actually smaller. It kind of follows naturally from the math.

Regarding the reference #4 you mentioned. I tried the link but it is dead.

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cpw
cpw
cpw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow