Need some CC on a few shots - Thank you

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ESfishdoc
ESfishdoc Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Re: Need some CC on a few shots - Thank you

A couple of comments if I may.  You make comments on how the RAW looked better and the jpg lost the pop the RAW had.  That is a bit unusual the way I see things as the RAW image is usually much flatter and any "pop" comes out in post processing.  But.. we all see things differently.

Color and contrast has so many factors.  Some lenses like the Zeiss 21 2.8 seem to really be special.   However, most of what I want has to have post processing applied to a RAW image.  The differences between cameras will probably be very little.. especially the 7D and 5DmkII.  I have both but have never touched a Nikon so I can't comment there.

Judging from the images shadows you were shooting with the sun directly overhead.  That is usually some of the toughest light to work with and provides the least drama.  You also were shooting at f22 which can cause some diffraction (although most will never notice when that happens) as well as a large depth of field.  So if you were intentionally shooting at f22 for the desired effect all is well.  Otherwise I'd shoot a scene like that at iso 100 and faster shutter speed to and around f 8 to 11.  All very personal choices.

Concerning the images:  Too much sky, especially in the first.  The sky is not all that interesting and the water and boats seem secondary.  The beach is washed out and lost in highlights in many areas.  While the pictures may be telling a story that is very specific to a limited audience (such as the company you are shooting for) I don't quite see it.  I see beach and clouds and think it is too hot to be sitting in the chairs and move on.

Changing cameras is going to do very little that will impact these images.  Composition, lighting, and post processing is where the money is.

Richard

-- hide signature --
 ESfishdoc's gear list:ESfishdoc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow