Will the SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM suffice as an only lens?

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Questions thread
Lawnmower Shooter
Lawnmower Shooter Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Will the SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM suffice as an only lens?

FabriceS wrote:

I am getting ready to upgrade to a DSLR from a Fuji Finepix S9100--scornfully described by the guy in the camera shop as "just a fancy point and shoot."

Based on the reviews I've read, I'm leaning toward buying a Pentax K-5 body and pairing it with an SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM zoom lens.

My question is, if this is the only lens I have for a while, will I be able to take pictures in most typical outdoor and indoor shooting situations? I realize that the lens won't provide macro or wide angle, but will I encounter other significant limitations?

Thanks--

FS

Lots of good points here. Assuming we are basing this topic on the normal lens prices, the 50-135 is almost $1600. This would work fine for a lot of people, closer birding, nearly all portraiture, some sports. Missing is the WA and longer tele. I looked hard at the 50-135 and decided that I would rather have more range. I am going with the sigma 17-50 + tamron 70-200. According to MTF charts, both of these are as sharp as the 50-135 (which is supposed to have CA issues in comparison), and together they cost about $200 less. This plus I get my WA and an extra 65mm or reach.

I can only speak from reviews, user info, and charts, but I really think the 50-135 is overrated. It does have weather sealing which the above two do not, and it's likely built like a tank, but for IQ it is not the only option. I think with any of the top end lenses you will find good results, but this is just my opinion. Good luck.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow