Favorite photo editing software, other than LR?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions thread
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Silkypix, PaintShop Pro, FastStone

Guy Parsons wrote:

Lightroom appears to be the standard for now, but for me too expensive and the relentless and "compulsory" updating by Adobe makes it an expensive product to own over the years.

Only a milli-whisker in output quality behind LR is Silkypix Pro 5 for RAW conversion or for jpeg fiddling. It is expensive but paid updates happen way less often. Always busy adding new cameras in the very frequent minor free updates.

For industrial grade jpeg/tiff fiddling, layers etc then hard to beat PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate, particularly as the Black Friday price of $29.99 for an update works out it was a full version.

Though for many quick simple fiddles I find FastStone Viewer hard to beat. I did pay the suggested donation as it is such good value.

I use FastStone to load all images into auto day dated folders and then add some text to the folder name. I'm wary of any database way of holding keywords etc as I have been burnt before losing lots of input. I just make things easy to find via folder dates and names plus reference to trip diaries.

Use whichever tool works for whatever job.

Just a precision : LR allows you to write your keywords back to your pictures, so no worries if you loose the database (at least fort the keywords). You can choose that as the default behaviour or do it to a bunch of pictures at a time or only to single pictures. Also, each time you shut LR you are asked whether you want to back it up. In case of problems it is easy to return to these back ups.

That said I too prefer to have my pictures stored neatly by dates (ths is made automatically when I import the pictures in LR).

Not to say there are no other valid solutions, just to show that with LR the fear to loose keywords has to be dampened.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow