A week with my X-E1 and 18-55.

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
konanon
konanon Junior Member • Posts: 27
A week with my X-E1 and 18-55.

I was looking for a lighter kit with excellent image quality. After doing some research (probably way too much), I decided on this little jewel of a camera.

Coming from the D-SLR world, I've had to adjust how to handle a camera but once you figure out it's quirks, the X-E1 is an easy tool to work with. The image quality is out of this world. I keep pushing this camera with high ISO shots and it passes with flying colors. A quick search on Flickr will confirm what I'm referring to. Overall image quality is outstanding. No mirorless system currently comes close to what Fuji is doing with image quality.

Focussing isn't as bad as some have indicated. It could certainly be improved but I believe this can be accomplished via firmware updates. This isn't a sports camera but I've been able to get some very sharp action shots, thanks to its high ISO capabilities. It's not as straight forward as a D-SLR but with a good technique, you'll be surprised what you can do.

The menu is well laid out. Fuji has done a good job here. The Q button (quick menu access) is excellent. You are at least 1 clicks and a scroll (with the command dial) away from your most important settings (ISO, WB, NR etc). The buttons are useful, different but useful.

The EVF works well. As some have stated, in some circumstances, it lags a bit but, again, I believe this can probably be rectified via firmware update by changing the refresh rate. It's nice to have a live histogram but I wish it would continue to meter the scene once the shutter button is pressed half way. Unfortunately, with the current firmware, it disappears. The information displayed in the EVF can be controlled in the menu so I have no issues here. The screen is fixed and has a lower resolution than competing models but for me, this is not a deal breaker. It is sharp enough for my needs.

It's video capabilities were not a factor in my decision so for me, the fact that it does video is a bonus. Competing models may have a better video implementation so you would have to research this for yourself.

The 18-55 is an amazing lens. Like the camera, the build quality is excellent. It is a very sharp lens. I wouldn't consider this a kit lens. This beats other kit lenses by a mile (although the Sony 16-50 is getting rave reviews).

In a nut shell, I selected this camera for it's image quality. Having used a D-SLR for the last 8 years or so, I'm changing how I go about taking pictures. The bottom line is that this is a fun camera to use. Did I mention the unbelievable image quality? I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this camera. Keep in mind, I don't do this for a living. This camera isn't for everyone. In the end, you must decide if this tool works for you. Given the lens roadmap, I look forward to building my Fuji system. Some very interesting primes are listed in there.....especially the 23mm f/1.4. And I won't have to pay thousands of dollars for fast primes.

Sorry for the long winded post!

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow