24-85VR at f/4.5 (D800 image)

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,966
24-85VR at f/4.5 (D800 image)

Recently there have been several threads asking about the relative quality of the new Nikon 24-85VR f/3.5-4.5 zoom versus several other lenses on the D800 or D600. I'm not in a position to assess many of the comparative issues, but I do have around 1500 images with this lens on the D800, so I thought it might be helpful to have full-resolution image available for discussion. Here's an overview of a shot from St. Peter's Basilica, Rome:

This was shot at ISO 1600, f/4.5, 46mm, and 1/100 sec. At this image size, of course, you can't tell much about quality, so here's a 100% crop:

Since DPreview resizes our images now, you may have to click on "Original" to see that crop at true 100%. And finally, if you want to browse the full image, it's online here:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8209372308_6633ce09d2_o.jpg

The image in that link is full-resolution from Lightroom 4, with a slight amount of additional color adjustment and sharpening in Photoshop CS5.1. It is just slightly smaller than the original D800 image, as I did apply the lens profile corrections in LR, which results in a small crop after the distortion is corrected. I did turn off all noise reduction, however, so that you can see all the detail actually captured.

For my purposes, this lens is near-ideal for travel. The only "problem" is that I'm now having a hard time deciding what additional lenses to get for my more serious work. I had assumed I would eventually buy the Nikon 24-70, but now I'm not sure the added IQ will be enough to justify that purchase. I may end up deciding to go with a couple of additional primes, like the 28 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 or 105VR f/2.8.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow