Lens question: Nikon / Tamron 24-70 or 28-75 f2.8, which ?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Questions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,489
Re: Lens question: Nikon / Tamron 24-70 or 28-75 f2.8, which ?

The Nikon and Tamron 24-70 will surely outperform the 28-75, but at 2-4 time the cost they damn well should. That said, the 28-75 is actually a pretty good lens and a great value. I shoot one on a Canon 5D2 and find it plenty sharp. Stop it down to f8-11 it takes a very expensive lens to get appreciably better results. It's also much smaller and lighter than either of the 24-70 models.

It did take two copies for me to get a good sample. I bought it new, and the first copy was very disappointing wide open. The second lens has performed as I'd hoped. It performs well enough I'm not looking to replace it any time soon.

There are better lenses than the Tamron 28-75, but they are bigger, heavier and a lot more expensive. How much are you willing to pay and how much do you want to carry?

The Tamron 24-70 seems like a much better value than the Nikon, and VR is always welcome in any lens.  This would be my choice if you want more than the 28-75.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow