Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
OldDigiman Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Ditched my Black Rapid strap

My take on this is that (1) a $3000 camera that can't take the kinds of stresses mentioned here has pretty pathetic design, IMO, (2) the bottom-carrying style straps are common enough so that if the camera can't handle being suspended by one, Nikon should put a disclaimer in the user guide, (3) I'm bummed because my practice has been to carry my camera over my shoulder attached to a monopod, which obviously I wont' be able to do with my newly acquired D800E.

I hope the OP can get coverage through his credit card.  Another alternative (albeit a hassle) would be to sue Nikon in small claims court (the legal theory in California would be "breach of the implied warranty of merchantability" (Civil Code section 1791.1), given how common it is for people to carry cameras attached to tripods on their shoulder, there is a good argument that the camera is not "fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used").

OP, I also would let your strap maker know what happened, once this problem is known, they are obliged to disclose it in the promotional materials.  I hate to think how many people this could potentially happen to.

But bottom line is that this is a design flaw in the camera, despite what the apologists have been saying about the forces involved.

-- hide signature --

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow