Overcoming some of the limitations of a D600

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,325
Re: Overcoming some of the limitations of a D600

D Knisely wrote:

FTH wrote:

I first called it not necessarily right (months ago) but by using simple logic (live aperture works fully in still mode) and knowing that it is fixable by firmware, I call it false.

That is not true. You can set the aperture in Liveview for stills, but it doesn't take effect until the exposure (when the mirror recycles, the shutter is cocked, and it fires). I also believe (but am not positive) that I saw a report based on disassembly confirming that the D600 has only a single actuator and is thus physically incapable of controlling the aperture in the middle of LV (i.e., when the mirror is up).

I'm afraid you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment. The FW fix rumor is almost certainly wrong. Finally, I do not believe Nikon will EVER make a FW upgrade that breaks what is in the user manual (e.g., add menu items, change a described functionality). If they did with the D600, it would be the very first time ever, and I don't see that happening. There are too many liability issues with varying from the manual. Remember that Nikon has never one single time EVER added a feature with an update.

Doug

+1. They are certainly not known for it. This is why I was surprised when people mentioned this "update".

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow