Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,629
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

rgolub wrote:

Uh oh....

Here is the Sun Sniper site.

Using my instant and off the cuff powers of mechanical analysis, I do not like that design. Lots of torque on a very small area. I would definitely want a RRS / Kirk plate on the bottom of the camera to spread the load.

A tripod mount is designed for static loading. Not bouncing up and down. I suspect that if you showed that design to the team that built the D800 body they would get upset. Maybe a D4 which is built like a tank (and weighs pretty darn near as much as one) - but even then.

Product designers routinely take into account how a product will be used and potentially misused. The Black Rapid strap and similar products are very popular and used by many professionals so the design team should have knowledge of them. If they don't want people using the tripod mount with a strap, they should note that specifically in the owners manual: "Warning: the tripod mount is intended to fix the camera to a standard tripod bracket and should not be used with a strap to carry the camera"

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow