Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,883
Thank you *very much* for posting these pictures !

8TAV wrote:

This is another view.

Helps see the damage (great idea with the ruler, BTW, it was hard to see without it).

Questions: it seems the fit near the battery compartment between body and camera bottom plate is still snug. The bottom part in fact is straight but is misaligned so that the gap widens along the camera's length and is at the widest near the "Nikon D800" label. Is this correct? Also is the gap the same in front of the camera than in the back?

My impression from the images is that the bottom plate did not itsef bend. It is screwed to the camera and the screw threads on the right side of the camera (viewer's right, near the Nikon D800 label) are damaged, so that the botton part cannot be screwed back tightly against the rest of the body. Is this your analysis of what happened as well?

I would see then where Nikon comes from when it states that the damage cannot be fixed, and the screw threads probably cannot be rebuilt. Replacing the central metal frame would probably cost as much in labor as a new camera.

I feel very sorry that you had this incident. Thank you again for going through the efforts of posting the images. This is very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow