Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,499
Re: Useful info: stay away from Black rapid straps and the like

I think you misunderstand on how the strap point would be attached to the camera. The strap attachment is attached to the Kirk L bracket and not the camera. When the L bracket is attached to the camera by the tripod screw hole on the camera the bracket fits snug against a large portion of the bottom of the camera. The L bracket takes most all the torque off the tripod screw hole on the camera. The L bracket is very strong and can support the strap attachment very easily.

Larry

Hi Larry, thank you for the explanation but I still don't see the advantage of the L-plate.

The L-plate is snug against the camera in absence of damage. But the pressure applied to the bottom of the camera must have pulled the bottom part: I expect it to be bent down. After damage, the L-plate is still connected to the tripod thread where obviously the fits stays snug. But there will be a gap elsewhere between L-plate and bottom part of the camera due to the way the bend curvature is oriented (and the fact that the L-plate is attached only on one point of the camera).

I'm not sure I'm explaining well what I have in mind but I've made a schematic posted here.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow