Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Having been a bench tech and seen tripod screw damages to the bodies firsthand (usually overzealous tightening that distort components and body castings), I'm not too crazy about carrying a camera inverted by a strap into one of those sockets.  Maybe for a light P&S camera, but not something heavy as a DSLR body and lens.

Think about carrying a bowling ball by a 1/4-20 thread maybe 3/8" long.  Placed on top of a tripod it has little force applied to it and can sit there all day long without damage.   Now invert it as with a strap into the socket, and there are a whole lot of forces acting on that threaded bit now especially in walking or running with it hanging there by that bit.  Even larger bodes (MF) used a 3/8" screw at times.  I'm actually surprised that companies who make them haven't been sued for that design - yet.

Personally, I use a wrist or hand strap onto an L-plate (i.e. RRS L-plate and a Camdapter strap) as I've seen too much strap damages in my life.  Worst was a dog who thought the strap was a play toy and took the guy's camera out the doggie door and banged it around the patio a bit.  Kid's pull them off tables too.

Bad part of this all if the mothership has determined the body is unrepairable, the owner may no longer be able to get parts for it from them ever even if a 2nd party were to fix it if they black-listed the serial number.

Hopefully the OP's homeowner's insurance 'might' step up even though the deductible may be high.  I think my camera insurance costs runs about $12 per $1,000 as I just added $3,500 more to it (a D800E) and it jump $34 overall for that.  They did want the serial number too with that body.

Mack

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow