Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: An L plate won't help at all

TOF guy wrote:

Larry wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket

Think about it, Larry. The base plate still takes the very same strain through the attachment to the tripod thread. You're just adding a piece between the strap and the tripod thread, but it doesn't help with the issue at hand.

I don't think you are thinking this through correctly.  A large screw (like the tripod mount) is very strong in compression.  A short bit of metal (like the tripod mount with something heavy attached) is not very strong in bending - the kind of motion you would get with a heavy camera / lens pivoting on the strap.  I am assuming that the tripod mount is not heavily braced against bending moment forces and my cursory view of my D800 agrees with that.  Nikon COULD HAVE made it stronger, but there is obviously tradeoffs made at every point in a mechanical design.

An L-plate or other bracket that uses the screw to compress the metal of the bracket against the frame of the camera utilizes the compressive force of the screw to transfer the bending moment from the tripod socket itself to the rest of the camera base.

A formal mechanical analysis could certainly be done but I'm just running off the seat of my pants.  It's the same TOTAL strain, just distributed differently - and that makes all the difference in the world.

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow