Considering upgrading from Finepix S700 to F660EXR.

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Questions thread
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,088
Re: Considering upgrading from Finepix S700 to F660EXR.

gardengal4 wrote:

I've been on this site all night long reviewing possible cameras to purchase and I'm going crazy! So many choices. So many side-by-sides. I think I have settled on the F660EXR.

I'm a casual user. garden shots, family shots, pet shots.

The S700 was okay, nothing great. Disappointing indoors at family parties. I 99% use auto everything. The pre-set scenes are nice sometimes. It's definitely too bulky though. Lately I end up using my phone more than bringing my S700 (which is also slightly broken). A smaller camera may bring me back again to real camera usage.

I am ready for a smaller camera but not ultra compact. The EXR series seems like a good size (although I have not seen it in person) and the 660 is a good pricepoint. 20x zoom would be nice, but I think I can be happy with 15x for the price.

I just don't know if it's a good camera!!?!?! It certainly seems more advanced than what I have now.

Does the F660EXR seem like a reasonable upgrade path? Any other brands/models worth considering that I may have missed. The Canon Powershot SX160 was in my sights for awhile, but I dropped it for some reason.

The F660 is a good camera in general, but has some notable weak points which should be noted (if that matters to you). The first is weak flash (if you take party photos with flash), the second is slow lens which will require high ISO or slow shutter speeds indoor without flash (or with flash, because it is weak at anything other then close range), the third is poor auto mode (during indoor shooting, it is passable outside), but there is a way around it if the camera is set to certain settings in P mode as recommended on this forum. As far as alternatives go, I think Canon SX260 and Sony HX20V (or even better older HX10V) are better performing in auto mode and at indoor events (and have significantly better video).  Canon and Sony have slow lenses also, but the auto programming is more successful in getting pictures without blur.  On the other hand, the F660 is much superior outside and as a daylight camera.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow