Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
spqr_ca
spqr_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 707
It's physics

TOF guy wrote:

In order to flex, it's going to have to flex the whole plate as opposed to just at the hole.

It still would not help, I think: the camera bottom plate must have bent down away from the rest of the body. The L-plate can stay flat and is not forced to flex because of the curvature of the bend (also because the plate has only one attachment point to the camera). The plate would be lower than it should and the hole on the side not be properly aligned, that's it.

Thinking of it, I sometimes attach the camera / L-plate to a monopod head, and carry the whole set by holding the monopod. Maybe I shouldn't do this .... Hmmm. Well I've checked and everything is fine. But I'll be more careful from now on. Thanks to the O/P !

If the bracket is tight to the body, the pressure has to spread over the area of the bracket rather than just at the point of the tripod hole. Any angular pressure has to travel along that bracket and so the force is distributed. It's very much like a reverse lever.

Nevertheless, erring on the side of caution isn't really a bad idea when it comes to expensive gear. I doubt many of us are sufficiently wealthy to enjoy paying to replace something like the D800 just because we like something like the R-strap a little more than the traditional neck strap.

Aside from that, I'd like to see a picture of the damage the OP was mentioning. This is, after all, a photography forum and a picture means a thousand words. I believe him, it's entirely possible he had a major hit or a defective body, but the extent of the damage is a little hard to visualize.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus Air Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow