Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,075
Perhaps an Arca plate to salvage the camera

I wonder if it's possible that the base of your camera had a void or other metal casting defect. The only way to find out would be an autopsy. And it's quite possible that the base is not designed to be as robust as it should be.

I'd suggest using an Arca type tripod plate to mount anything to your camera or the camera to anything. And by that I mean a custom plate that is shaped to the base of the camera. A plate will help to spread the mounting force over a wider area. I would avoid using the ball-peg type holster fittings attached directly to the camera's tripod socket. The Spyder strap is an example that looks like there's a very small flange at the mounting point and I'd guess that your strap uses something similar. You could mount the strap's camera attachment to an Arca plate to spread the load force.

You may also be able to use an Arca plate to try and pull the base back into alignment. If the mounting screw for a custom Arca plate will reach the bent socket's threads, mounting and tightening the plate to the base might pull it back toward proper alignment. Unfortunately, the metal would be stressed and this cast alloy is likely to crack and weaken from bending forces.

I'd be upset and I appreciate you passing along this warning. You may want to consider permanently mounting an Arca plate to the camera, provided the plate provides access to the battery door. You could potentially use some epoxy to add strength if it turns out that the threaded socket is to weakened to trust. If the camera's otherwise functional, you'd be able to use it with tripods and other accessories via Arca clamp attachments.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow