Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,927
What lens were you using?

8TAV wrote:

After taking my beautiful D 800 to four or five events suspended by a shoulder strap I noted that the bottom of the camera at the tripod thread had bent the base plate of the camera down. Never had a large lens on the camera only small primes.Sent it to Melville and they claimed it was "impact" damage and billed me$280.00. A month went by and finally after I called several times they reported that it could not be fixed.

Now what do I do?

8TAV

Jesus H C, what lens did you have attached to your camera? For that sort of distortion to occur, it must have weighed a ton! I have had my 300 f2.8 VRII attached to my camera and inadvertently left the Sun Sniper strap attached to the tripod mount rather than the lens tripod mount and walked around with it no problems. I think I may have even done this with my 500 f4 and no ill effects. Having said that, if I am walking, or even worse jogging to get a shot, I will support it with my hand.

To have that sort of distortion occur there has to have been some major force used to deform the tripod mount like that. I cannot believe that it just occured with a standard lens, or even a reasonable sized telephoto ​without some sort of hard impact​ causing it to deform. Maybe running hard with the camera unsupported with a large telephoto dangling free and therefore bobbing up and down hard may have caused it.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow