Overcoming some of the limitations of a D600

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leo360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: Let's just stop here...

J Mankila wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

J Mankila wrote:

Take bright midday and add snow. Take one f/1.2 standard lens, one f/1.4 wideangle and, finally, one f/2.0 telephoto. That's my setup and a typical shooting situation....

The polariser (high-quality B+W "slim-fit" model) can only do so much to bring down the shutter speeds, can make sky too blue and trees too green, and often massively complicates the shooting by creating veiling glare. Thus, I've had multiple times that I've had to use one or two stops slower aperture so as to avoid blown whites. Have I gotten the shots that I wanted? Yes, but not at the apertures I wanted.

That is why you have ND filters. They, at least good ones, do not change the colors. Please, note that going from 1/4000 to 1/8000 buys you just one stop. In your sunny day + white snow + f/1.4 lens scenario it may not suffice. And you will be longing for 1/16000 or even 1/32000.

True. Quite true, and I can't argue with that. However, I don't consider ND filters a proper solution, as they'll make the shooting more complicated than it has to be. I don't even like to use the polariser when I'm simply "reacting". When I have all the time in the world and can use hats or the sort to get rid of the glare, I'll use it, but otherwise, no.

The one stop difference is, and will be, an advantage. Slight, perhaps, but an advantage nonetheless. I don't understand why it's so difficult for you lot to understand that.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Janne, I fully understand what you are saying. I just want to emphasize that for majority of shooting situations this advantage is immaterial. Moreover, D800 has more MPs than D600. In some situations it is an important advantage too. The reason I am spending my time commenting in this thread is to put these advantage in perspective. Something which is a deal breaker for one photographer could be a non-issue for another. As many things in the life it is not expressed in absolute terms. And I am sorry that my postings irritated you.

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow