SX50 - Spotted Dove

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,648
Re: SX50 - Spotted Dove

VisionLight wrote:

Nice handheld captures with that big zoom. Are they optical or digital TC (wish the little EXIF box showed this)? And did you do any post? Doing the mini-reviews, I haven't had much time yet to train my SX50 on birds, but I see it's going to be fun.

Thanks Vision.  I think it was 50x optical.  I completely agree that the exif should show the proper focal length when using digital.  Also, I wish there was an option to limit the digital zoom to 100x (yellow zone) only.  After all, thats what Canon was advertising - "100x ZoomPlus", and its very good.  The normal digital blue zone to 200x degrades the image a bit more.

Very minimal PP here.  I like to tinker, but there was not much need to.  A couple points of Levels here, a couple points of contrast.  I use FastStone.  It takes care of 95% of my needs.  No need to sharpen (because I've included that in my custon colour setting).  However, I did do a 50% luminance noise reduction in Neat Image.

I have revised my custom colour setting to reduce saturation to standard. I found that reds notoriously get blown when vivid is used.  My Custom setting is normal for everything, but +2 for sharpening.  Hmm though you can tinker with the RGB..  Maybe it just needs a -1 for Red....
More experimenting/refining required

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow