Sharpness test SEL50f18 vs Sigma30f2.8

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,473
Re: Sharpness test SEL50f18 vs Sigma30f2.8

rogatsby wrote:

mike geier wrote:

I think you miss the point guys, sharpness is not a concept, its an actual fact. When one lens is sharper than another, it is clearly a sharper (better) lens, PERIOD. Justifying the differences is BS, sharper IS sharper.

This is correct. This was not a bokeh test. It was a sharpness test, and the test seems to have been fair. The first shot is f2.8 vs. 2.8, where the SEL50 was stopped down, and the Sigma was wide open. Presumably, this should give an edge to the SEL50 in sharpness. The second test was both lenses at the widest aperture (1.8 for the SEL50 and 2.8 again for the Sigma). I think this is fair. And both tests show that the Sigma is the sharper lens.

That being said, these lenses are very different and have different uses. The focal length difference is significant. I own both, and I love both of them. The Sigma 30 is sharper and is much more versatile, so it is my favorite and stays on my 5N most of the time. But if I want to take portraits indoors, I will sometimes opt for the SEL50, which is also an excellent lens.

Oh, I don't know, i don't take that many pictures of flat surfaces.

The Sigma is neither clinical, like the Zeiss ZM, nor has character, like the Nokton.

I like its smallness and contrast, but am not satisfied with f/2.8. Wide open, it beats the kit lens, and it is cheap.

I have used the Sigma maybe once or twice since May, and will definitely favor the E35 when it comes out (based on A35).

Using the Sigma at f/5.6 or so is ok, but it doesn't gain you that much over even the kit lens.

I like that the Sigma retains its sharpness wide open, but it is seldom relevant: for sharpness I stop down, and wide open I want bokeh.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow