D600 oil spots: time for class action lawyers Locked

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
This thread is locked.
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 10,673
Re: Page 12 of the dpreview review is worth a visit.

It reports in low light central AF points work betterthan outer AF points. So they should

These are f8 sensitivity compared to f5.6 outer point sensitivity. The D800 is similar.

I am speculating the dpreview D800, like mine, did not have an AF issue because nothing was reported. So far I have seen 91 dpreview images about D800 focus not using good targets, and none using good targets. Perhaps a part of the issue is some are testing D800 outer points indoors in low light.

That aside dpreview noted some extra D600 dust after about 4 weeks use i.e. not new out of the box. If the mirror box stop down lever moves at a different speed (1/4000 top speed) to other models and creates different air turbulence, or has more oil on it is pure speculation by me - but otherwise there seems nothing different between left and right side of the mirror box to cause extra dust.

dpreview have yet to report if a second D600 clean is needed on their copy after 8 weeks use. My original D3 needed an oil clean early on, but apart from normal sensor cleaning that was it.

Edit - I did not throw my D3 out of the pram because of the first oil issue. The retailer did the first sensor clean for me and I went on to take some of my best digital images using it

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow