Recommendations for handheld documentary/social/street/photojournalism? + OM-D E-M5 or GH3
Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
EdBen • Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Recommendations for handheld documentary/social/street/photojournalism? + OM-D E-M5 or GH3
In reply to Visualartivist • Nov 16, 2012
I am not an expert, but I have a m4/3, here are a couple of comments:
- Consider asking on the micro four thirds forum directly on specific m4/3 questions.
- Even if both OMD EM-5 and GH3 have good high iso, for street photography you should probably consider at least one fast prime lens (no zoom but plenty of light gathering capability). Choose one of the ones between 14 and 25 mm in priority I would say (normal-ish lens), then you can consider the 45mm Oly protrait lens.
- For street photography many consider the ability to shoot from the waist (or from unusual angles) to be useful, this requires a tilt screen. I think both OMD and GH3 have one, but not the same type, so you should see them in practise trying to shoot from waist, see how it works for you.
- In general it is always good to really hold the camera, try the controls, and ideally even try the camera a bit before buying one. That can really be a factor.
- I get the feeling the OMD may be better for you than the GH3 (probably more discreet, cheaper, stabilization, oly JPEGs), but it is to be confirmed, and it is less important than your feel of the camera.
- In video you can certainly get more out of the GH3 than the Oly, but probably with more effort.
EdBen's gear list:EdBen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Nov 16, 2012|
|Nov 16, 2012|
|Nov 16, 2012||1|
|Nov 17, 2012|
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow
Have your say
What's been the most exciting announcement of Photokina?
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
Total voters: 5,343
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels711The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review372Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2164Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review338Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2501Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review
Top threads in this forum
Most bookmarked in this forum