Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Joe being evasive, again ...

Great Bustard wrote:

John King wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

John King wrote:

No, Green. The f/2.8 25mm pancake has the same angle of view (approximately) as a 50 mm lens has on a "FF" sensored camera. However, it illuminates the sensor at the same light intensity per square mm as an f/2.8 lens on said "FF" sensor. An f/1.4 lens on a 4/3rds camera illuminates the sensor at exactly the same light intensity per square mm as an f/1.4 lens does on a "FF" camera sensor.

The f/1.4 or f/2.8 is an exposure parameter that is independent of the FL of the lens, either actual FL or "effective" FL, regardless of the sensor size.

Like Joe, you are confusing depth of field with exposure parameters, and have been for many years. I know that Joe and his fellow travellers want this to be the case, but common photographic usage for over a hundred years doesn't see it this way, and is unlikely to change, regardless of the trolling that occurs on this forum.

These things have been explained to you time and time again by many different people, and also in every book ever written about photography. So one can only interpret your continued insistence on this BS about "equivalence" as being merely a guise for your continued trolling here.

This has already been explained in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50290952

Now, let's do a little test to see who's confused about exposure parameters. For all scenarios, consider the following two photos taken of the same scene from the same position, displayed with the same diagonal dimension and viewed by the same person from the same distance:

1. E5 at 50mm f/2 1/200 ISO 400
  2. E5 at 50mm f/4 1/200 ISO 1600

Question 1: Are the exposures the same?

Question 2: Does the same amount of light fall on the sensors?

Question 3: Are the DOFs the same?

Next scenario:

2. 5D2 at 100mm f/2 1/200 ISO 400

Next scenario:

2. 5D2 at 100mm f/4 1/200 ISO 1600

That's a total of 9 yes/no questions. Shouldn't take any time/effort at all to answer.

Joe

You still haven't answered my questions, yet you now expect me to wade through the BS you put up rather than just answering my questions.

Your questions were answered:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50296425

They weren't ...

Whether or not you understood them is another matter entirely. For reference:

Unfortunately (for us ... ) it is you who does not appear to understand. And when you don't, you have a tendency to hurl gratuitous insults around, and invoke your standard argumentum ad hominem attack/s ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50292185

Also Joe has explained it all very reasonable well and in a friendly manner, [thumbs] up for Joe.

Now, you made the charge:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50296643

Like Joe, you are confusing depth of field with exposure parameters...

So I created a little quiz which would sort out whose confused. And, while answers were certainly voluntary, not compulsory, your refusal to answer 9 basic yes/no questions on exposure and DOF sorted out who is confused from who is not quite nicely.

Nothing whatsoever to do with anything, you are merely evading the questions I put to you, and to which you patently do not know the answers. Either that, or you didn't even understand the questions ...

As for the rest of your post, perhaps someone else has an interest in pursuing it for the "entertainment" value, but I'm going to do my best to resist, based mostly on the fact that I'm betting no one cares.

Another "standard" Joe James ploy to deflect attention from his own lack of basic photography knowledge ...

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
tko
GBC
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow