The future of the 6D line

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: The future of the 6D line

Press Correspondent wrote:

Agreed - that's totally fair. Personnally, coming from the 5dII where autofocus was my only Achillies Heel, I will probably overshoot on AF capabilities in my next body rather than take any chances.

Amen! If the AF on 6D ends up as bad as on 5D/5D2, I'd be the first one to throw a stone. I've suffered for 5 years with 5D and wanted no more blurry mess. If I were offered to upgrade from my 5D to 5D2 for free, I wouldn't. In fact, I could, but didn't when I saw 5D2 new with warranty for $800 after deals and rebates, about the same amount I could sell my 5D for. To me the AF of 5D3 is worth all $2,500 I've paid for the camera. I've also tried D800, but wasn't impressed with its AF, colors, or grip. 5D3 is not the altimate camera (the resolution and DR could be better), but it is the best upgrade for the next couple years until Canon catches up with Sony on sensors.

Not wishing to denigrate anything you have said at all but sometimes you could get the impression, especially reading these forums, that the 5D / 5D II had virtually no autofocus capability at all.

It has almost become a self fulfilling prophesy, especially on this forum, that because a vociferous number have complained about the 5DII's AF, now every man and his dog repeats that as 'fact'.  Granted the 5DIII's AF is of course better but actually in the professional world the 5DII's AF is generally not regarded as the big issue that it seems to be here.

I suppose one of the reasons for that is that most pros don't expect perfection in any single camera and instead are realistic and skilled enough to select the best device for any particular job.  And they don't expect the 5D II to be a camera for sports photography.

Conversely many amateurs do expect perfection, especially if they are relying on one body to cover virtually everything.  Having said that I can see that many on this forum have more equipment than most professionals!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
db.
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow