The future of the 6D line

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: 5D/5D2 line was split into 5D3 and 6D

x-vision wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Nine cross points clustered in the center is nine times (9x) better than a single cross point in the center.

certainly not necessarily.

entirely depends on the points sensitivity - do they have zig zag multi-line sensors, what aperture sensitivity are they .. is there major defocus handling .. etc,etc.

for AI servo - I'd have to agree though, but not for one shot.

Nine cross points clustered in the center cover more area, so they work with more data to identify focus. This is better not just for tracking but for single-shot mode as well.

In general, as a I said in a previous post, it's ridiculous how Canon fanboys/apologists argue about that.

Dude, the 1Dx/5DIII AF system has 61 points total, 41 cross-type, and 5 a double-cross type.
Doesn't that make it crystal clear that the more AF points, the better?

Why would Canon go to such extremes with the AF points if less points is better ???

Here's how to spot a delusional Canon fanboy:
He would argue that the 5DIII has a better AF than the D600 because of the extra AF points.
But he would also argue that the D600 AF is not better than the 6D - regardless of the extra AF points.

So, which one is - is more AF points better or not???

Actually at this stage I have no idea whether the 6D's AF system is brilliant, rubbish, or something in between.  And until someone credible tests it I don't imagine any one else here knows either.

However I do not automatically assume that all AF sensors, cross type or line, are equal in terms of performance, or that more of each are intrinsically better.  Plus if technology can make a 'simplified' AF system perform as well or even better than previous systems then Canon, Nikon or whoever are probably going to take advantage of that improvement, especially if it requires less sensor points and reduces cost.  Aren't they?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
db.
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow