The future of the 6D line

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: 5D/5D2 line was split into 5D3 and 6D

Press Correspondent wrote:

Collett wrote:

I know it’s a bit early, but I wanted to get peoples' thoughts on where Canon intends to take the 6d line in successive versions. Nikon is putting up some stiff competition these days, with the D600 being a great FF starter and a lot for the money. It seems to me that both Canon & Nikon have a lot riding on their line of introductory full frame bodies.

In order to be competitive, I would have liked to seen i) a better focus system in the 6d – say about 17 points altogether and 4 more cross-point types (but an AF system not orientated toward sports & speed), ii) a pop up flash, iii) and 24-25 megapixels instead of 20.

I do like the fact that it is a lighter weight body, and think it makes sense to differentiate the 5d line w/ better and faster autofocus and a better & more durable build. What is missing this current version of the 6d for you?

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nonsense. The AF of 6D and D600 are similar with the same coverage and location of cross points, except 6D is more sensitive in low light. 20 mp is enough, except for forensics applications and thank God for no flimsy red-eye-giving pop-up flash. No one would be able to tell a difference between 6D and D600 prints, perhaps sometimes by better Canon skin tones. The only tangible difference between these cameras is the built-in Wi-Fi and GPS in 6D.

Nonsense? The D600 has a 39 point AF sensor array with 9, count them, 9 cross-type autofocus points - as compaired to the 11 total and one cross-type in the 6d. With the exception of low light sensitivity on the 6d, I see the Nikon D600's AF system to be in the middle between the 6d and the 5dIII.

What you really need is not 6D2, but 5D3. It is only $400 more than 6D ($3,000 less $500 printer rebate).

I know (see my other responses on this thread). The 5dIII would be a great camera for me personally and that is what I will probably get. What I am missing on the 5dII is basically AF and in particular the outer focus points, and a faster frame rate would allow me to shoot sports with it instead of my 7d. The 6d will not solve this issue for me. However, if the 6d had an AF system closer to the D600's - it might be a different story.

As it stands, I am thinking of selling my 7d and picking up a 5dIII and deciding what to do with my 5dII based upon how much I can sell it for at the time. Its a pretty good backup or camera to pass down to one of my teenagers for the price I can likely fetch for it. I have never been thrilled with my 7d when the ISO gets very high, and I am often shoot sports late in the afternoon when the light is lower and the ISO often needs to be higher at 800 or higher.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
db.
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow