Canon 50 mm f\1.4 USM stops AF after a few month.
I want to buy a Canon f\1.4 USM as another prime lens ( I already own a Canon 24 mm f\2.8). I have great expectations with this 50 mm lens. The only shortcoming, according to the reviews I've read, appears to be the fact that it is rather soft at f\1.4, but iit performs OK at f\2 and after.
However, my main concern is that I've read in some blogs that this lens has the problem that the AF stops working after a few month of use. What is your experience with this 50 mm lens? It is worth purchasing it?
EF 50 f/1.4 USM focuses by extending the inner barrel. Bumps to the extended barrel is the major cause of AF failure. The ES-71 II hood (or an inexpensive third party equivalent) attaches to the outter barrel and completely shrouds the extending inner barrel to protect it from such bumps.
Unapologetic Canon Apologist
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%