OK ALL YOU full frame camera fanatics

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
The question is really about the Pan/Lieca D Summilux f1.4.

The question in this thread is really hard to answer. Not because the advantage of the lens is ambiguous but because the question was framed so negatively that it invites argument from FF users and annoys anyone who has the E-5, 14-35, 35-100 and the Pan/Leica 25/1.4. But I will try to answer the question anyway.

The Panasonic Leica is a wonderful lens. The clarity, contrast and color rendition is superb. It's the only normal prime lens for Olympus 4/3 cameras. Except for the zooms it is the only way to get the 50 mm equivalent. And the only zoom that has compareable IQ at 25 mm is the 14-35. The 25/1.4 is one stop faster than the 14-35 f/2 at 25 mm (or any focal length). It offers shorter DOF when you want it, isolating subjects better. It's more capable of low light photography than any of the other 4/3 lenses. It focuses faster than the 14-35 in low light. The 14-35 can be very slow to AF in low light - there's no comparison. The 25 mm focal length also allows you to shoot at slower shutter speeds than the 50 mm f/2 and/or any of the longer lenses.

Only the UWA 7-14 mm f/4 at 7 mm can shoot as slow as the 25/1.4 at f/1.4, because the 7-14 may be 3 stops slower but the allowable shutter speed for hand held at 7 mm is almost 3 times slower.

Comparing 4/3 to FF is pointless. You have the 4/3 format E-5. Unless you're willing to plunk down two to four times the price for a FF body and more money again for the best FF format zoom lenses than what you've spent on the lenses you have, you can only consider 4/3 lenses.

Before anyone starts to argue about lens prices and high ISO equivalence, please don't compare an f/4 or f/5.6 lens to an Olympus SHG f/2 or f/2.8 tele lens. Only compare equivalent focal lengths in the fastest f-stop available for FF, the f/2.8 VR and OIS lenses.

As for all the other discussion of FF vs 4/3, I have to agree with GB. The 50 mm f/2 lens on 4/3 is equivalent to a 100 mm f/4 on FF in angle of view and physical aperture opening diameter. It offers similar exposures with the conditions he listed. (Read those conditions carefully) But the f/2 lens is faster than f/4, allowing faster shutter speeds. GB says f/4 on FF can be just as fast if you bump up the ISO by two stops. Then you get the same noise as using 4/3 at the native ISO on Olympus' new EM-5 sensor. But given those conditions, those limitations, I would rather use my FF camera at it's native ISO and have more DR and less noise. I'd want the best fast f/2.8 lenses available for FF. Why pay so much more for FF only to get the same shutter speed and the same noise as 4/3?

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
tko
GBC
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow