Sony 10-18mm f/4 and 16-50mm Samples from NEX 7

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
OP viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,147
Re: Thanks for the pics, but i'm disappointed with 10-18

teaberry wrote:

I was hoping it would be very sharp for that price. There seems to be a bit of purple fringing and as you stated, I can't get over the distortion (although LR4 i assume will soon have correction for that lens). I'm sure I'll get shot for saying this, but I think the quality @ 10mm in some pics are about the same as my 16mm pancake w/ wide-angle converter.

I'm sure more samples will come out and prove me wrong though. For now, I'm still considering the Sigma 19mm but would be nice if Sigma did a wide(r) angle lens.

Looking at my old shots from the 16mm f/2.8 with 0.75x converter, the 10-18 is much better, and my 16mm was used on the NEX 3 which is lower resolution.  On the 16mm, about 1/2 way to the edge of the frame the detail drops dramatically and in the corners are mush (most extreme corners).

However, you guys are right, currently without a profile for Lightroom it will be substantial post processing, a simple Lightroom correction to remove CA, a corner fix to remove the magenta fringing.  However, once Lightroom has a profile for the lens it should be much better (no clicking involved, or maybe checking the click box to enable lens corrections).

If you don't want to do any of that processing I would cancel your order.  See my CA removed picture first (it didn't take long to do).  Also, let me know if you want a RAW file from those and I can post it on my server.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow