Is the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II worth $1300 more than a good used mark I?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fog Maker Senior Member • Posts: 2,511
Re: Is the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II worth $1300 more than a good used mark I?

Dave Seeley wrote:

Looking at buying a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L... new II for $2300, or a used mark I for about $1000.... Looks like reduced chromatic aberations are the main upgrade? Was that really a big issue in the first version?

Thanks

dave

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/
current kit: 5DmkIII, 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 2x II extender, 8x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers

Asking this forum for purchase advice is many times a bad idea.

The only thing to remember is that old version is a VERY good lens. And the preferred choice among professionals for years. That a new version just got released doesn't change that fact.

What is that worth to you?

And contrary to popular forum beliefs, it actually beats the new version in certain, at least to me, very important areas.

Personally I have more important things to invest in for the moment, so I'll skip the new version and will only buy it when and if my original breaks.

(but as usual a whloe lot of people jumps in talking about the 24-105 which is easily the worst performing L lens in the whole lineup - but its a kit lens so many people have it - the 17-40 may not be stellar either, but it is a speciality lens and really not comparable)

Fog Maker's gear list:Fog Maker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow