E-PL5, first real-life shot and some info

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
micksh6
OP micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613
Re: E-PL5, panasonic lenses

Allan Brown wrote:

For those who have this camera and Panasonic lenses, is there any hint of lockup with any lens or banding with the 20mm?

No lockups so far, but I haven't used 20mm much. Shot a lot of tests with 25mm yesterday - no problems.

As for banding - I took several underexposed shots with Pana 20mm, ISO 6400 and 12800.
Does the effect on photo below qualify as banding? I don't think so. If there is a banding it's well hidden below high ISO noise. Note that these are underexposed ISO 12800 and there is no such thing at ISO 6400. Second photo is the same frame, exposure raised by 1 stop and shadows by 100 in LR.
I personally don't think there is an issue, although I admit I don't see this with other lenses. And the test was done on "cold" lens, just after powering up. These are 1:1 crops

OOC JPEG crop

LR + 1EV + 100 shadows, crop

I also did some IBIS tests. Lens was Oly 40-150mm zoom at 150mm.
I can reliably get sharp shots at 1/100s, and at 1/80s with probably 80% reliability. Adding 1/8s anti-shock improves reliability at 1/80s to 95% maybe.

1/80-1/100s are important to test because of "shutter shock" issue people reported with different cameras and lenses. I don't think there is a shutter shock issue, and 1/80s just probably pushes IBIS to its limit. There is no need to add anti-shock for 1/100s shutter, but eventually it will help for lower shutter speed.
For instance, IBIS doesn't make it worse when shooting at 40mm with both 1/80 and 1/100s, all shots are sharp.

Note that I don't find 1/FL rule 100% reliable for myself. Without IBIS I can occasionally get blurred shots at 1/320s with 150mm lens. 1/400s is much safer in this case.
As for 1/40-1/50s speed - I would say mixed success. Adding 1/8s anti-shock probably raises success rate above 50%. "Success" is defined as blur less than one pixel, barely noticeable when pixel-peeping.

Based on this very limited test I would say E-PL5 IBIS provides solid 2 stop improvement. It can be 3 stop improvement if you shoot bursts with 1/8s antishock. Then you'll very likely get at least one sharp shot out of 3 frame burst.
I would actually hold my conclusion until getting more experience with different lenses and conditions.

BTW, I hold the camera like a tourist, in front of me. As with all tests where human plays the main role, YMMV.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow