How do you get pop in a photo without giving it too much contrast?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
quallsphoto Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Please clearly define what 'pop' is...

rosesenior wrote:

hmmmm, I guess as opposed to "flat."


The previous poster asked you to define "pop", because that term is very subjective. If you post an image or two, that will give others a better idea of what you mean.

Is this a portrait? If so, how are you lighting the subject? Some lighting techniques can cause a subject to appear flat.

If you are creating JPEG images, then in-camera settings can be used to boost increase color saturation and contract, thus adding "pop".

During post-processing, you can make an image "pop" by slightly increasing contrast, color saturation, sharpness, adjusting the tonal curve, etc.

I occasionally request Kodak Metallic paper when ordering for prints because it makes the images "pop" off the page.

Do a quick Google search for "photoshop image pop" or "photoshop color pop". You will find a number of tutorials on this topic . . . Or search for "photoshop color pop actions". By installing various Photoshop Actions, you can perform the entire process in just a few mouse-clicks.


Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow