from d40, buy d5100 discounted now, or wait for 5200?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
digitalatlas Junior Member • Posts: 28
from d40, buy d5100 discounted now, or wait for 5200?

i've been using a d40 for the last few years, my best friend gave it to me and introduced me to photography. i've learned how to control things like shutter speed, iso, aperture, etc to get pictures that i want, and started out with an nikkor 18-105mm. earlier this year i picked up a 35 mm 1.8, which i've come to love. i'm mostly into taking family photos, portraits of my wife, sometimes some scenery, and still life. no intention to be pro but i like nice photos that look better than my wife's point and shoot, and the photography is a nice little hobby.

so i was hoping to move up to something that takes some better low light shots, has some more features, maybe some video. some of the d40 responsiveness and performance is starting to make me wonder how much better other cameras may perform (obvious d40 is very entry level).  the 5100 looked like a good choice, and i like the swivel display. i started looking into it a little while ago, and saw that the 5200 was rumored to be announced late this year, so i waited for the announcement and specs.

i see that it's a higher resolution sensor and it has the 39 point AF from the D7000. yah, some other stuff too, even more vid settings, stereo mic, etc but this seem to be the 2 big sells. higher resolution, not too interested, the 6MP on my d40 is more than enough for my purposes, most of our prints are 4x6. the 39 point AF seems to be the big hook, up from 11 from the d5100....obviously both are better than my d40, but how important is this? i don't currently take too many high speed shots, but i'd like the option to experiment. is the old AF much worse?

i'm planning to use the camera for pretty much the same purpose. we might have a kid in the coming year, so i'd probably take some photos and short videos. still years away from needing high speed videos of kids playing sports.

i'm in canada, and i can get the d5100 for about $400+tax right now. whenever the d5200 comes out, I figure it'll be about 800+tax.

do you think i should just get the d5100 now? it seems like a pretty good deal for what is supposed to be a pretty solid camera. or is it worthwhile to wait for the d5200, which would likely be twice as much money....?

thanks!

Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow