18-55 review

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: 18-55 review

Vic Chapman wrote:

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

Nice review and pictures but I was surprised they never mentioned the shutter lag or focus issues if any. I will reread I must have missed something.

That could be because there aren't any shutter lag or focus issues with this lens - how would the lens cause shutter lag anyway, surely that's a camera body problem?

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

I guess I might be wrong. My understanding is that the lens would improve focus down to 0.1 sec shutter time lag unless I was reading it wrong. I though it was the focus motor on the zoom lens that gave it that extra speed that is why the primes were noted as being slower on the Xe1. Also, I was just surprised it wasn't even mentioned being that has been brought here on the forum time and time again it is safe to assume that it's on peoples minds.

Here you, go this got me thinking along these lines (from Fuji website):

Pair the X-E1 with the new FUJINON XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS lens for maximum performance with high-speed autofocus of 0.1 sec

The highly agile linear motor in the newly announced XF18-55mm lens combines with the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor and the newly developed EXR Processor Pro, to achieve a huge leap in AF speed and precision performance. Contrast Detection in the X-E1 brings your subject into sharp focus in as little as 0.1seconds.

A masterpiece in optical technology, the high quality all-glass lens structure consists of 14 elements in 10 groups, including 3 aspherical lenses and 1 extra low dispersion element, and a seven-blade rounded diaphragm. This zoom lens covers a broad range of frequently-used focal lengths from 18mm in wide angle to 55mm mid telephoto*6 to cater for a variety of scenes including landscape and snap shots.

At F2.8-4.0 wide open, this fast lens is perfect for low-light photography or scenes with a beautiful bokeh effect. The compact design of this lens, made possible by optimising its component layout, enhances its portability. Advanced optical and mechanical designs are optimised to keep the lens compact, measuring 65.0mm x 70.4mm (wide), despite offering maximum aperture of F2.8. The lens features an aperture ring so that users can adjust the aperture in a natural movement while holding the camera up to the eye, just as on other XF lenses. The lens includes an OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer) to provide image stabilization equivalent to 4 stops, controlling the effect of camera shake and allowing users to seize perfect photo opportunities.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow