Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,612
Re: Overpriced product - just buy Sigma 500/4.5

falcon_wizard wrote:

A 4/3 sensor also makes you lose one stop of DOF control for subject isolation, as well as another stop of low light performance. As far as I am concerned for what I do, this wod not be acceptable.

At 400, 600mm equivalency, you wouldn't find this an advantage? Let alone the advantage of such a small package as the DA 200mm f2.8 providing 400mm, dof f5.6, equivalency. Even the DA 300mm f4 could be considered small for 600mm, dof f8, equivalency. I believe both lenses have the test data to prove sharpness wide open? Are we really expecting the 560mm wide open to outperform these two DA * lenses wide open? Even when the 4/3 sensor crop would be using more of the center of the lenses and dropping the far edges?

That some would find it unacceptable wouldn't really be an issue as there would be the APS-C products to address their needs. In fact, the only reason for the existence of a 4/3 sensor K-5 would be for long lens use and there would be no need to redefine the lens line up for the crop. I just think there would be a market that would prefer to spend $1000, and carry an extra 750g, over spending $7000 and lugging 3040g. Yes, I know it will cost more for the 200mm and 300mm, but I would assume anyone wistfully interested, (like to, but can't afford to), in the 560mm, will probably have one or the other and possibly both of the DA * lenses already.

I also find it strange that we are willing to accept the crop of APS-C as being an advantage for APS-C over FF, with the same loss of one stop in DOF compared to FF, but the argument is somehow not valid for 4/3 compared to APS-C?

Thank you
Russell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow