Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,295
Re: Sigma 400/5.6 and technique to approach small birds....

falcon_wizard wrote:

miles green wrote:

Falcon Wizard, can you give us a few tips in this regard? Do you use a hide? Camo? Bird seeds (no i'm not kidding)? I spent 3 hours in the yard today, birds were chirping all over the place, but the closest i could get was about 30 meters from a little robin redbreast... He was about the same size as the central AF square in the viewfinder at 400mm, i probably got 12 pixels on him!

I don't usually use a blind, but I tried one in my back yard once and it is amazingly effective. when you get in, birds will fly off but come back in 15mins and will come very close. Having a couple bird feeders can also help getting some traffic... Its certainly a great way to start. Normally, I go to bird habitats and make sure I move quietly and slowly, and try to stay low. Camo can help but not necessarily required. Birds in different locations will behave differently. Some may be very tame, others very shy. It varies by species and location.

Steph

Thank you stephane!

I might have to try making a hide out of some cheap materials (camo net etc). I built a bird feeder in the yard today! Anxiously awaiting my 400 f/5.6 APO (which cost 1/4th of the VAT on a new 560). Maybe in a couple of years...

-- hide signature --

Stephane Neron
www.experiencetravelnature.com
www.experiencevoyagenature.com

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow