starter lens for nikon d7000

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: starter lens for nikon d7000

Mark1t wrote:

Hi

whats the 'cheapest' but tolerable lens for cameras like d7000? I mean what lens is that i can start with, and makes nice, and sharp pictures.

thanks

Mark

Mark, nobody knows what is tolerable for you. The kit lens is excellent but cheaply built, doesn't have much range and is slow. The slightly better 18-105VR is superb but also slow. By slow, I mean in maximum aperture not focus speed which is pretty good for both.

As you can see, there's a lot of other great choices except that Samyang manual focus lens for a beginner. He just got a virtual boxed ears from most of us. *wink*

A prime lens solution might also be good if you can see yourself with one focal lenth. The 35 f/1.8, 40 f/2.8 or 50 f/1.8 all come to mind as great single angle solutions I'd love. I'd probably get the 40 f/2.8 because it's fast enough and is also a macro lens and a darn sharp one at that. All of these are between $200 and $250 or there abouts.

If I had to pick one starter lens for myself and I was willing to get a D7000 camera, which I am not, I'd probably opt for the 18-105VR or the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM OS, depending on the money I had. Nikon's 16-85 VR is great, but I'd rather the greater range or the faster f/stop, probably the faster f/stop of the Sigma above all.

Someone mentioned someone offering the D7000 plus that great 18-105VR for $999. I'd jump all over that, if true. That's crazy good for a great performer.

Also, remember that Nikon doesn't really make a poor kit lens like some manufacturers. Nikon's 18-55 VR is one heck of a good sharp lens if that's what you choose. It really is a keeper.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow