Confession of a Lazy JPG Snap Shooter

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 34,145
Re: Confession of a Lazy JPG Snap Shooter

Allan Olesen wrote:

I think that two technological advances have created some polarization among photo enthusiasts:

1. Raw conversion tools with greatly improved workflow have emerged, so today raw does not add any extra work if you were going to post process the photo anyway.
  2. Out-of-camera JPGs have improved so there is less reason for post processing.

As a result of #1, raw shooters have difficulty understanding why JPG shooters still cling to the JPG format when raw has become so easy.

And as a result of #2, JPG shooters have difficulty understanding why raw shooters still cling to the raw format when JPG has become so good.

Total result: Heated discussions and name calling.

That is an excellent observation but I would like to add a little more;

#1 That comes from the mistaken belief that JPG shooters PP all their photos. This is not true. For me the vast majority of my JPGs need no PP at all and almost all of those that do a little PP tweaking does little if any visible damage to the photos.

#2 Those JPG shooters fail to realize that some people are very picky with their photos so JPGs can't give them what they need. I'm sure Ansel Adams would shoot RAW if he was alive today.

If people would just realize that we are all different and stop denigrating those who think differently we would all be better off.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow