before/after interior design lighting setup [images + shooting notes]

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP rkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
Re: before/after interior design lighting setup [images + shooting notes]

Vlad S wrote:

Please do tell about the lighting. In hindsight, do you think it would have been possible to simplify it?

Looking back, even with the benefit of another year's experience in lighting interior design shots, I don't think I could have simplified things! Given the large amount of mirror in the frame, options were very limited indeed and it took a painstaking trial-and-error process of small adjustments.

One thing that I have done more since then is to place strobes in the scene itself and then Photoshop them out. That can be very effective, but it can be a lot of work and you do have to be careful about placement and flare.

Looking at the image again, here are some of the things I did with the strobes:

• on the floor in the doorway (behind camera, below countertop in mirror) facing up and away from the scene to bounce off the doors and wall and use that area as a big softbox.
  • on the floor in the shower stall (behind camera, below countertop in mirror) to illuminate the tile and ceiling in that area.
  • to camera right at about lens-level to accentuate wood face of countertop
  • to camera left below lens-level to accentuate wood face of counter and the blue tile floor

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow