Division I Basketball with the NEX-7, courtside

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
El Matadurr
OP El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Oh yeah, top work

davect01 wrote:

I agree, nice positioning, and some great shots. Just wondering how many bad shots did you take along with these good ones?

Again proving if you have the talent and right lens the NEX line is very capable.

This was the first time shooting basketball after an 8-month hiatus. I was also using two lenses I had never before used for the sport. I brought my 50mm f/1.8, but didn't even take it out of the bag. Why, I don't really know, except that I knew I could get much better separation with the other two.

That separation comes at a price, though, and with the tight framing for all of these, my margin for error was practically non-existent. With a couple more games (and using my 50 a bit more) I'm sure I'll get better.

I took about 400 photos. About 150 of them were in focus. 2/3rds of those were "critically" sharp. Of that, about 30 were worth keeping, the rest were either partially blocked by other players, bad facial expressions, or improper freezing of the action (weird poses, etc.).

Seeing as I only needed a few though, I met my goal and beyond.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow