Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
rplst8
rplst8 Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: left/right AF asymmetry

olyflyer wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

Nobody disputes the importance of a proper target. But, please, enlighten me regarding the following dilemma. If the target is left/right symmetrical, light is uniform, focal plane is parallel to the target plane then why on Earth left-AF sensor perform differently from corresponding right-AF sensor?

Leo

Don't ask me, ask Nikon. Never the less, page 100 is clear about that, since one example is exactly the target you are describing, like a bar code, which some times is a good target other times it is not and it is always good target for the center, cross type sensor.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  This is where Leonard has been wrong too.

You are referring to the 3rd example on page 100 where it says:

"The subject is dominated by regular geometric patterns. Example: Blinds or a row of windows in a skyscraper."

In that case, Nikon specifically says "the subject is dominated by..."  In the other cases they say "the focus point contains."

It makes sense that the camera couldn't focus on a set of window blinds if the window blinds were bigger than the area under the focus point.  However, if you were far enough away, that the blinds created vertical detail under the focus point, then the camera would work properly.

THAT is what Nikon meant.  Case closed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow