Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
falcon_wizard Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: Overpriced product - just buy Sigma 500/4.5

New HD coating and desighn with less aberration are promising. However, 18.37 ft (5.6m) minimum distance and 70 cm. total length (with hood attached) - that's what I can't cooperate with for now.

Right... the MFD is long I agree. We'll have to see in practice how constraining it is.

BTW: there are very interesting experiments are going on, utilizing Pentax-Q and sharpest mid-length lenses. I know, I know...

It is interesting for sure, now from what I've seen of the sensor performance and per pixel sharpness, it is miles apart from a K-5 performance, not even looking at K5IIs. As such, I would advise anyone who is happy with the Q's performance not to waste any money whatsoever on buying an expensive telephoto, because the sensor will be the bottleneck. Having 1000's of mm of focal length in the field is great for anyone whom digiscoping quality level is acceptable and who can live with manual or contract detect focus. Those people should just stop spending right there, enjoy a light & compact set-up and be happy.

For someone looking for tack sharp results and quick reaction performance, however we still have to invest in bigger, bulkier and expensive equipment... and typically work between 500 and 700mm on APS-C, anything more than that typically does not yield top shelf results as you're limited by environmental factors.  I know that for me personally, such a setup would leave me very frustrated. Having had the privilege of working with the 500/4.5 for the last 2-3 years, there is simply no way back (I know, that's my problem...) ...

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Stephane Neron
www.experiencetravelnature.com
www.experiencevoyagenature.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow