Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 4,975
Re: Overpriced product - just buy Sigma 500/4.5

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for the quick reply. It is a very good 101 shooting long telephoto lens lesson :-).

I'm glad you confirmed my hopes about Sigma 500/4.5. I'm thinking of it seriously.

I usually shoot FA*300/4.5 standalone or paired with the Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF TC. I have chosen the Tamron very carefully as the best companion for my FA*300 after trying of almost all well regarded 1.4x TCs including both Sigmas (EX non-DG and EX DG). You are absolutely right I too shoot the combo usually stepping down to squeeze the best out of it. In sunny California I have a luxury to shoot often in TAv at 1/1000 and f/6.3.

Usually I shoot small wildlife handheld, and my use  of a tripod or monopod is very seldom. The problem with stepped down combo, however, is stubborn AF hunting. At f/5.6-6.3 there is almost no chance to acquire fast moving target. For the bigger birds, e.g. closely flying great heron, I prefer shooting FA*300 alone at f/8 at least.

When I tried to shoot listed above Sigmas, applying same techniques and 1.4x converters, the results were noticeably inferior to the outcome of standalone Sigma lens crop or FA*300 combo. For example, great 400/5.6 TeleMacro alone is slightly sharper than FA*300+1.4x Tamron combo. However, when paired with either 1.4x Sigma or Tamron, the outcome degrades very quickly. In my opinion DA*60-250/4 is superior to the Sigma 100-300/4 in terms of sharpness, colors and contrast, but a bit shorter of course. It might be because of poorer lens coating of older Sigma lenses in comparison with Pentax smc magic.

Just a few thoughts.

My Regards,

SG

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow