Fast Lens or Bigger Sensor?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iamthehof New Member • Posts: 3
Fast Lens or Bigger Sensor?

The subject line is kind of over simplified what my real question is.  First, the "problem".  I'm not new to photography at all, I've had a ton of film cameras (mostly rangefinders), a canon 400d and a few misc digital p&s cams.  I'm now looking for a camera setup that I want to use for travel and every day shooting.  My budget is $2000 max, body and lens(es) I'd like to keep it more around 1500.

What I want, primary concern is taking photos at this point, hd video would be a plus.  I've always been a fan of rangefinders and really fast glass.  So I see the 25mm f/0.95 Voigtlander thats out now for mft and that intrigues me...  Assuming I get this lens my thoughts on bodies are either a used olympus pl3 or used nex-5 for a less expensive route.  Current maxed price option is the mentioned lens and an Olympus om-d or completely different direction Ricoh GXR, a12 M-mount and a 40mm f1.4 nokton (yeah, this is way different it's explained more below).

Now for the actual question.  Am I exaggerating the awesomeness of this new Voigtlander lens?  Is somebody out there smashing their head against a keyboard in confusion as to why I wouldn't just get [insert bigger sensor equipped dslr here] with a [insert less expensive but still quite fast lens here]?  I'm overwhelmed at this point, there's so many options.  I like mft cameras for the small size and dslrs for the large sensors.  I don't even know if it's worth mentioning but I am one of thoooose people who dream of a Leica, mostly because I just plain like focusing on a rangefinder far more than a dslr.  With nex cameras and mft it seems like it's easier to use m-mount lenses, so the idea of when i do one day own my m9 or m-e i can use all of my lenses on all of my cameras, it's a nice though, even if it's a lofty one.

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow