A99 w/studio strobes sync issues?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
philbot Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: A99 w/studio strobes sync issues?

Nordstjernen wrote:

philbot wrote:

tbcass wrote:

BuDWiZe wrote:

i had this problem last weekend during a paid shoot. it worked at 1/125 so i quickly just left it tehre for the time being. hopefully someoen can answer as i want to know aswell

Go back and read all the posts as the question has already been answered.

-- hide signature --

I don't see any answer, am I missing something?

Is the sync speed 1/200th for an A99 then? I though it would be 1/250th as per the A77..

Any studio strobe should work up to the max sync speed of any camera without black bars appearing, it might get reduced light over the scene if it's really really slow, but not bars..

???

A99 sync is 1/250 sec with devices that support this. Not all do. Read the specs for studio flashes and triggers ...

You mentioned Elincrom. Here from their SPEED trigger unit, which is a newer system:

• Normal & Speed sync modes. The Normal mode is fully compatible with all non-Speed modules.
  • Up to 1/150s shutter speed in Normal mode for SLR cameras and up to 1/320s shutter speed in Speed mode for enabled SLR cameras.

Read what they say about NORMAL mode!

That's all about the triggers (The elinchroms have them built in).. those are mightily important.. Latency in wireless triggers is the reason why we only now have wireless products that can match current sync speeds (1/250th)

I use DLites without the skyports built in, and those sync at 1/250th with no issues using Pixel Soldiers.. (but the OP has already stated his A77 is fine).

If X-Sync was somehow designed around normal flashes fast durations, we'd have Sync speeds up to very high shutter speeds.. as it stands X-Sync is so slow, no limitations exist for all studio lights I've ever seen.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Sol
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow