A99 w/studio strobes sync issues?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956
Re: No camera issue at all - studio flashes are different from speedlights

Nordstjernen wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

But then again, my Einstein E640 will do flash durations ranging from 1/588 sec to 1/8,000 sec in color accuracy mode and from 1/588 sec to 1/13,500 sec in action mode. So my flash setup exceeds my camera's flash sync limitations and so I haven't run into the issues you have described, allowing me to set my camera to its maximum flash sync speed.

If the flash/radio trigger system isn't 100 % in sync with the camera, then you might get a sync problem when using shutter speeds close to the sync limit.

That is true and that is where I had my one or two glitches that got results similar to OP. My wireless flash trigger was having some "seating" issues with my camera since it was connected to a hotshoe adapter. It was causing the trigger to trip just a tad late causing the black bar. As a temporary fix, I used the hotshoe adapter as a simple cold shoe mount and used a short sync cable to connect my trigger to the camera's sync port and it was working fine for the rest of the shoot. Since then I have not had an issue since the trigger seems to be seating onto the adapter just fine.

I am wondering if this is the OP's problem. They have the same Einstein E640 (which as you may have guessed by the flash durations, is an IGBT type) as I do so I don't think it is a limitation of the camera or the flash, but possibly a sync issue. I would recommend them trying a physical sync cable between the main strobe and the camera and see if they still have the issue. If that fixes the problem, then it is the trigger causing the issue.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Sol
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow