A99 w/studio strobes sync issues?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956
Re: No camera issue at all - studio flashes are different from speedlights

Nordstjernen wrote:

Maximum camera sync shutter speed is matched for speedlights, not for studio strobes, since they have much longer flash duration. Time to find the specs for the flash system you are using!

For many studio flashes shortest sync speed is 1/125 sec. For some system you can get special "high speed" radio triggers to sunc at 1/250 sec.

So this is not about the camera. It is about knowing studio flash systems.

Also, in studio you seldom need such short shutter speed, since the flashes will outpower the existing light anyway. Use 1/60 or 1/125 sec, and it will make absolutely no diference.

Sync speed is only an issue when using battery pack studio type flashes outdoor on bright days, but then we often use powerful flashes and ND filters.

You are correct about that and I wasn't thinking about that when I was mentioning how I have no issues syncing at 1/250 with my A77.

But then again, my Einstein E640 will do flash durations ranging from 1/588 sec to 1/8,000 sec in color accuracy mode and from 1/588 sec to 1/13,500 sec in action mode.  So my flash setup exceeds my camera's flash sync limitations and so I haven't run into the issues you have described, allowing me to set my camera to its maximum flash sync speed.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Sol
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow