Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,313
Re: Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

garyknrd wrote:

That pentax 560 better be a super sharp lens with superb handling to beat the Sigma 500mm lens. I just did a head to head test with the Sigma 500mm lens Pentax mount, against the new Canon 300mm F2.8 ll and a 1.4 T.C. and the Sigma won? And the new Canon bare lens is breath taking. I personally think Pentax will be a good lens but Pentax at this point does not have a camera body that can even come close to taking advantage of a super telephoto lens. The K-5 with a Sigma 500 is fast AF but unreliable in close quarter shooting and cannot AF-C. If Pentax comes out with a good semi-pro body then you might see some interest in the lens. But now even the Sigma 500 on Pentax mount is at a huge disadvantage to others. My hat is off to a few fellows that shoot the Sigma with Pentax mount. I shot it for about two years ans still do shoot some. But very little now due to the poor camera Pentax makes for wildlife shooters.

The 560 was obviously designed without size constraints (unusual for Pentax), also without high magnification requirements, has new coatings, DC motor, weather sealing, and costs a fortune... So figure if the subject is at a distance, the 560 will kick b*tt! I have a strong suspicion that will include the siggy.

I have a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 from 2006, and the screw AF is very fast but not very accurate. The optics do not compare well to a pentax * prime lens at all (like the 20-year old A* 200mm macro).

I sure hope Pentax is developing a new AF-C algorithm and an AF sensor with many points to go with it.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow